OwenGregorian
Politics • Education • Science & Tech
With A U.S. Ban On TikTok Hours Away, Trump Says He 'Most Likely' Will Grant An Extension | Haleluya Hadero, AP News
January 20, 2025
post photo preview

The clock is ticking toward a U.S. ban on TikTok, but users seeking clarity on what that will mean did not get much Saturday from the company that runs the popular video-sharing platform or the tech giants that offer the TikTok app in their digital marketplaces.

However, President-elect Donald Trump said in an interview with NBC News that he was considering granting an extension that might allow TikTok to keep going beyond Sunday, when a law that prohibits mobile app stores and internet hosting services from distributing TikTok to U.S. users takes effect.

The ban’s timing has complicated matters, perhaps in TikTok’s favor: the outgoing Biden administration reiterated Saturday that it considers the law’s implementation and enforcement to be the responsibility of Trump, who takes office on Monday and has pledged to “save” the app.

Under the law, TikTok’s China-based parent company, ByteDance, had nine months to sell the platform’s U.S. operation to an approved buyer. The law allows the sitting president to extend the deadline by 90 days if a sale is in progress.

Are there any viable deals on the table?

Artificial intelligence startup Perplexity AI submitted a proposal to ByteDance on Saturday to create a new entity that merges Perplexity with TikTok U.S. business, according to a person familiar with the matter. If successful, the new structure would include other investors and allow ByteDance’s existing shareholders to retain their stake in the company, the person said.

Perplexity is not asking to purchase the coveted ByteDance algorithm that feeds TikTok users videos based on their interests. The person said they thought a fair price for TikTok without the algorithm is north of $50 billion.

If the proposed merger goes through, the algorithm would need to be rebuilt. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly about the proposal.

In terms of potential buyers, “Shark Tank” star Kevin O’Leary recently said a consortium of investors that he and billionaire Frank McCourt put together offered ByteDance $20 billion in cash for TikTok.

Trump told NBC News that he “most likely” would give TikTok the extension after his inauguration. ByteDance previously said it would not sell, but TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew is expected to attend Trump’s inauguration with a prime seating location.

Why is TikTok’s future in the US so unclear?

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday unanimously upheld the federal law that banned TikTok unless ByteDance divested itself of its U.S. holdings. In issuing the decision, justices rejected Trump’s request to wait until his administration could pursue a “political resolution” to the issue.

TikTok, ByteDance and some of the devoted users who rely on the platform argued the statute violated the First Amendment. The Biden administration sought to show ByteDance’s ownership and control of TikTok posed an unacceptable national security threat.

TikTok asked the Biden administration late for a “definitive statement” that would assure Google, Apple and other companies they would not face fines if they continued making its service available nationwide. Otherwise, TikTok said it “will be forced to go dark” on Sunday.

White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre called TikTok’s demand “a stunt.”

“We see no reason for TikTok or other companies to take actions in the next few days before the Trump administration takes office,” Jean-Pierre said Saturday. TikTok did not immediately respond to requests for comment sent on Saturday.

What will happen on Sunday?

It’s not explicitly clear. Experts have said the way the law was written, current TikTok users would continue to have access to the app but wouldn’t receive updates, eventually making it unworkable.

Though the company says its platform will go dark, it did not provide details, including whether it would voluntarily shut down its U.S. platform at midnight.

Trump has credited TikTok with helping him win the support of more young voters in last year’s election, but he wasn’t always a fan. During his first term, he issued executive orders banning TikTok and the Chinese messaging app WeChat. Courts subsequently blocked the moves.

Trump told “Meet the Press” moderator Kristen Welker in a phone interview Saturday that if he gives TikTok the 90-day extension, it will “probably” be announced on Monday.

“We have to look at it carefully. It’s a very big situation,” NBC News quoted him as saying.

How reliant are Americans on TikTok?

The majority of U.S. teenagers and a third of adults use TikTok, according to the Pew Research Center. Most people use it to watch entertaining, short-form videos. A subset of users — content creators and small business owners — rely on the platform for income.

Some past opinion polling showed a majority of Americans did not want want the app to go away. A poll conducted by The Associated Press and NORC Center for Public Affairs Research in January 2024 found a three-way split among Americans when it came to banning the platform, with roughly a third favoring or opposing it or not having an opinion on the topic. Meanwhile, a Pew Research Center survey conducted in July and August said public support for a ban had declined to 32% from 50% in March 2023.

What will happen to TikTok if it gets banned?

If TikTok gets banned — and stays banned — in the U.S., it will take a big financial hit. Attorneys for the company said in court documents that even if a U.S. shutdown lasted one month, TikTok would lose 29% of its total “targeted global” advertising revenue for 2025 as well as talented current and prospective employees. However, the platform likely won’t fully go away since it remains popular abroad.

For now, the company has tried to assure its U.S. employees they can continue to come to work. Earlier this week, TikTok told its U.S. workers that its offices would remain open for work even if the “situation” were not resolved by Sunday.

In the memo, which was first reported by The New York Times and confirmed by the company, TikTok told employees that their “employment, pay and benefits” were secure, adding that the ban law was written in a way that impacts the U.S. user experience but not TikTok as an employer.

Read more:

https://apnews.com/article/tiktok-us-ban-trump-extension-a3936a93f174d176d3633a67554d771b

 

 

community logo
Join the OwenGregorian Community
To read more articles like this, sign up and join my community today
0
What else you may like…
Videos
Posts
Articles
Over 100 Navy SEALS Set to Descend on Washington D.C. in Explosive Show of Support for Army Veteran Pete Hegseth | The Gateway Pundit

Washington, D.C., is bracing for an unprecedented show of support as over 100 Navy SEALs prepare to descend on the nation’s capital, standing in solidarity with President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee for Secretary of Defense, Pete Hegseth.

Hegseth, a decorated Army combat veteran and prominent conservative voice, has faced relentless media attacks in recent weeks.

The fake news media have leveled accusations ranging from outdated and disproven sexual misconduct claims to allegations of public drunkenness and financial mismanagement during his tenure at Concerned Veterans for America (CVA).

Critics on the right are pushing back hard against what they view as a deliberate effort to derail a nominee poised to shake up the Defense Department.

Randy Lair, a trustee at CVA, categorically denied the whistleblower allegations, describing them as “sensational fabrications designed to undermine a patriot.”

In an exclusive letter to the New York Post, Lair emphasized that Hegseth left CVA on good ...

00:01:07
‘Charlatan’ Vaccine Promoter Dr. Peter Hotez Says Multiple Viruses Will be Unleashed on America the Day After Trump Takes Office | Cristina Laila, The Gateway Pundit

‘Charlatan’ vaccine promoter Dr. Peter Hotez said multiple viruses will be unleashed on America one day after Trump is inaugurated next month.

“We have some big picture stuff coming down the pike starting on January 21st,” Hotez said to MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace before rattling off a list of viruses:

  • Bird flu
  • New Coronavirus
  • SARS
  • Mosquito-transmitted viruses
  • Dengue
  • Zika
  • Oropouche virus
  • Yellow fever
  • Pertussis/Whooping cough
  • Measles
  • Polio

Of course, Dr. Hotez failed to mention the measles outbreaks and Polio cases are primarily a problem with the illegal migrants invading the US.

Dr. Peter Hotez previously made headlines for refusing to debate author, activist, then-presidential candidate, attorney and now Trump’s nominee for HHS, Robert Kennedy, Jr., on the effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccines.

Rather than accept the challenge, Hotez lashed out at both Robert Kennedy Jr. and Joe Rogan, who invited the two to debate the facts on his show.

Hotez refused and ...

00:01:30
Mysterious 'Car-Sized Drones' Over New Jersey Prompt FBI Investigation | ZeroHedge

Several weeks of mysterious drone swarms over the skies of one New Jersey county near the military research and manufacturing facility Picatinny Arsenal have sparked concerns among residents and prompted an FBI investigation.

"It's kind of unsettling," Mike Walsh, a Morris County resident who has spotted the drones on numerous occasions, told local media outlet PIX11 News.

He said some drones "are very big, probably the size of a car."

Since Nov. 18, Walsh and many other residents have spotted these drones in the night sky.

"They're kind of go slow," he said, adding, "They come towards you. Then they change direction a little. They're all going different ways."

We first detailed the story on Nov. 19 in a note titled "Spy Drones? "Unusual Activity" Reported Over Morris County, New Jersey, Near Military Research Facility."

The potential national security threat piqued our interest, considering multiple reports that the mysterious drones were observed near Picatinny Arsenal.

PIX11 News said...

00:02:18
post photo preview
The Afterparty X Spaces - 8/8/26

It’s Saturday, and that means it’s time for The Afterparty!

We start with the Simultaneous Sip, then you get the mic.

Bring a take on what we covered on the Scott Adams School with Erica and Marcela and the big news of the week — Florida subpoenaing Fauci, the Maricopa voter data breach, or the DSA’s useful idiots getting demolished by Mike Rowe.

Everyone is welcome to speak. Two rules:

1. Be respectful
2. Don’t interrupt

Request the mic. Bring friends.

https://x.com/owengregorian/status/2086081721661812750?s=46&t=za1kQOtu4Dod6Yb1P465eg

Sunday Simultaneous Sip 8/2/26 — come hang out with us!

Grab your coffee (or whatever makes you happy), we’ll do the sip together, then chat about today’s news for about an hour.

  • Walz’s Minnesota letting people vote if someone “vouches” for them

  • An auditor saying 200,000+ NYC mayoral votes look suspicious

  • The DSA winning a $5.2 million inheritance lawsuit, California offering free meth and crack pipes…

Bring whatever’s on your mind. I’d love to hear from you.

Everyone’s welcome to speak. Just be kind, and don’t interrupt. See you there!

https://x.com/owengregorian/status/2083897876124459424?s=46&t=za1kQOtu4Dod6Yb1P465eg

post photo preview
Can Ozempic prevent cancer? A doctor explains why the headlines are easy to misread | Ziyad Al-Aly, Medical Xpress

In the weeks around the 2026 annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, my phone kept buzzing with alerts about GLP-1 drugs and cancer. The headlines were everywhere—from NPR and The Washington Post to Substack and heated exchanges on social media—all circling the same claim: Ozempic might lower the risk of cancer.

Only for Supporters
To read the rest of this article and access other paid content, you must be a supporter
Read full Article
post photo preview
European Drone Warfare Goes Operational: $49B in Commitments This Month | Roger Satterfield, Techtimes

In the first two weeks of July 2026, five of the largest defense investment decisions in modern European history arrived within days of one another: a $1.8 billion private fundraise for an AI defense startup, a NATO-wide $40 billion counter-drone commitment, a single German contract to deploy 50,000 AI-guided attack drones in Ukraine, a £5 billion British transformation program explicitly committing to weapons that make targeting decisions without per-strike human authorization, and a fresh $1.2 billion raise for a drone maker that positions itself as Europe's answer to Lockheed Martin. The convergence, reported today in a major CNBC synthesis, is not coincidental. It reflects a structural judgment: autonomous, software-defined warfare is no longer experimental. What drove each of these decisions to the same two-week window is the same thing driving all of them — a piece of palm-sized hardware that has quietly validated the entire premise of the investment surge in Ukrainian skies.

Only for Supporters
To read the rest of this article and access other paid content, you must be a supporter
Read full Article
post photo preview
Democrats Turn To ‘Economic Democracy,’ And You Already Know What They Mean | Chris Bray, The Federalist

“We cannot save our democracy unless we democratize our economy.” A truck is backing up to the loading dock, delivering a giant cargo of old wine in new bottles. You’re going to be hearing more of this language.

Only for Supporters
To read the rest of this article and access other paid content, you must be a supporter
Read full Article
Available on mobile and TV devices
google store google store app store app store
google store google store app tv store app tv store amazon store amazon store roku store roku store
Powered by Locals