OwenGregorian
Politics • Education • Science & Tech
Romanian court cancels presidential election amid Russian influence fears | Tim Ross, Carmen Paun & Andrei Popoviciu, Politico
December 11, 2024
post photo preview

Ultranationalist candidate Călin Georgescu slams constitutional court ruling and urges supporters to show they are “brave.”

Romania’s top constitutional court on Friday dramatically cancelled high-stakes presidential elections after security services warned Russia was mounting “aggressive” hybrid attacks against the Eastern European country.

The court decision plunged the strategically important EU and NATO member state into political chaos, inflaming divisions that opened up after a far-right outsider came from nowhere to win the first round in the presidential contest two weeks ago.

Ultranationalist Călin Georgescu benefited from a TikTok campaign that was similar to influence operations run by the Kremlin in Ukraine and Moldova, according to declassified Romanian intelligence documents. The files said Moscow was targeting Romania as an enemy state, using “aggressive hybrid action,” a view backed by the United States.

The second round runoff was due to be held on Sunday and voting had already begun in Romanian diaspora communities in other countries. The court canceled the process completely, leaving voters bemused as they turned up to cast their ballots.

The Romanian government will now need to draw up a timeline for fresh presidential elections.

In a defiant video released on Friday night, Georgescu accused the court of launching “practically a formalized coup d’état” and told his supporters to show they are “brave” and not to give up.

“Today, the Romanian state has trampled on democracy,” Georgescu said. “We wrote history. It is time to show that we are a brave people. Democracy is under attack … On this day, the corrupt system made a pact with the devil. I have only one pact — with the Romanian people and God.

“The power lies in each one of us, the Romanian people do not give in. Be confident, be brave. Today is just the beginning of a new page in the history of this country.”

The current President Klaus Iohannis was due to end his term on Dec. 21. But in an address to the nation Friday evening, he announced that he will stay on until the next president is sworn in.

He explained how intelligence reports after the first round of voting raised concerns that the election had been unfairly influenced in Georgescu’s favor by a campaign “supported from a state foreign to Romania’s interests.”

That led him to order the intelligence files to be released to the public so Romanians could see for themselves what had happened, he said.

“Romania is a stable, safe and solid country,” Iohannis said in his televised address, trying to calm nervous allies and reassure markets. “I say this for the EU: Romania is and remains a safe, solid, pro-European country. I say this for NATO: Romania remains a safe, solid ally,” he said. “I think it’s very important that we all know: Romania is not in difficulty.”

Stitch up

But the decision is highly controversial and risks being seen as a stitch-up by the political elite.

Politicians from both the far right as well as liberal reformists Save Romania Union (USR) party view an annulment as an attempt by the widely distrusted old establishment parties — the Social Democratic Party (PSD) and the center-right National Liberal Party (PNL) — to hold on to power by pulling strings within the judiciary.

Elena Lasconi, a liberal former TV journalist who was set to stand against Georgescu in the second round, was mortified by what she saw as a hijacking of the electoral process.

“Today is the moment when the Romanian state trampled over democracy. God, the Romanian people, the truth and the law will prevail and will punish those who are guilty of destroying our democracy,” she said immediately after the annulment.

Nicolae Ciucă, the head of the Romanian senate and the National Liberal Party’s presidential candidate in the first round called for “calm, unity and maturity” and said he supported all necessary efforts to clarify any suspicions and to guarantee a fair election.

The decision to cancel the vote was “without precedent in Romania’s democratic history,” he said, adding “the current situation is a difficult test for our democratic institutions.”

The unexpected ruling risks destabilizing Romania, a strategically important NATO member of 19 million people on the eastern edge of the European Union.

The shock win for Georgescu in the first round on Nov. 24 triggered widespread dismay among pro-Western centrists, and sparked demonstrations in central Bucharest, with thousands of pro-Europeans turning out to voice their support for maintaining the country’s international alliances.

On Friday evening, police were out in force in central Bucharest, stationing vans and cars with blue lights flashing on the city’s main streets. In University Square, where the biggest pro-EU demonstration was held on Thursday, four police vans parked alongside several police cars, though no crowds had gathered by 7 p.m. local time.

Georgescu’s fiery criticism of NATO and the EU — and his threat to end all assistance for Ukraine — stoked fears that Romania was on the brink of turning away from the West toward Moscow.

‘Coup d’état’

The court’s decision follows dramatic revelations of alleged foreign influence on the contest. Earlier this week, the Romanian government declassified intelligence files that strongly suggested to a Russian-backed campaign to corrupt the election.

The documents said 25,000 pro-Georgescu accounts on social media app TikTok burst into action just two weeks before the first-round vote.

The risk now is that the court’s decision leaves millions of Georgescu’s supporters feeling angry and disenfranchised.

“Shame!!! Coup d’état in full swing,” said George Simion, far-right AUR party leader who was backing Georgescu in the second round. He urged his supporters not to demonstrate in the streets against the court’s decision: “We are not taking to the streets, we will not be provoked. This system must fall democratically!”

Read more:

https://www.politico.eu/article/romania-court-cancels-presidential-election-runoff-tiktok-russian-influence-calin-georgescu/

 

 

community logo
Join the OwenGregorian Community
To read more articles like this, sign up and join my community today
0
What else you may like…
Videos
Posts
Articles
Over 100 Navy SEALS Set to Descend on Washington D.C. in Explosive Show of Support for Army Veteran Pete Hegseth | The Gateway Pundit

Washington, D.C., is bracing for an unprecedented show of support as over 100 Navy SEALs prepare to descend on the nation’s capital, standing in solidarity with President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee for Secretary of Defense, Pete Hegseth.

Hegseth, a decorated Army combat veteran and prominent conservative voice, has faced relentless media attacks in recent weeks.

The fake news media have leveled accusations ranging from outdated and disproven sexual misconduct claims to allegations of public drunkenness and financial mismanagement during his tenure at Concerned Veterans for America (CVA).

Critics on the right are pushing back hard against what they view as a deliberate effort to derail a nominee poised to shake up the Defense Department.

Randy Lair, a trustee at CVA, categorically denied the whistleblower allegations, describing them as “sensational fabrications designed to undermine a patriot.”

In an exclusive letter to the New York Post, Lair emphasized that Hegseth left CVA on good ...

00:01:07
‘Charlatan’ Vaccine Promoter Dr. Peter Hotez Says Multiple Viruses Will be Unleashed on America the Day After Trump Takes Office | Cristina Laila, The Gateway Pundit

‘Charlatan’ vaccine promoter Dr. Peter Hotez said multiple viruses will be unleashed on America one day after Trump is inaugurated next month.

“We have some big picture stuff coming down the pike starting on January 21st,” Hotez said to MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace before rattling off a list of viruses:

  • Bird flu
  • New Coronavirus
  • SARS
  • Mosquito-transmitted viruses
  • Dengue
  • Zika
  • Oropouche virus
  • Yellow fever
  • Pertussis/Whooping cough
  • Measles
  • Polio

Of course, Dr. Hotez failed to mention the measles outbreaks and Polio cases are primarily a problem with the illegal migrants invading the US.

Dr. Peter Hotez previously made headlines for refusing to debate author, activist, then-presidential candidate, attorney and now Trump’s nominee for HHS, Robert Kennedy, Jr., on the effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccines.

Rather than accept the challenge, Hotez lashed out at both Robert Kennedy Jr. and Joe Rogan, who invited the two to debate the facts on his show.

Hotez refused and ...

00:01:30
Mysterious 'Car-Sized Drones' Over New Jersey Prompt FBI Investigation | ZeroHedge

Several weeks of mysterious drone swarms over the skies of one New Jersey county near the military research and manufacturing facility Picatinny Arsenal have sparked concerns among residents and prompted an FBI investigation.

"It's kind of unsettling," Mike Walsh, a Morris County resident who has spotted the drones on numerous occasions, told local media outlet PIX11 News.

He said some drones "are very big, probably the size of a car."

Since Nov. 18, Walsh and many other residents have spotted these drones in the night sky.

"They're kind of go slow," he said, adding, "They come towards you. Then they change direction a little. They're all going different ways."

We first detailed the story on Nov. 19 in a note titled "Spy Drones? "Unusual Activity" Reported Over Morris County, New Jersey, Near Military Research Facility."

The potential national security threat piqued our interest, considering multiple reports that the mysterious drones were observed near Picatinny Arsenal.

PIX11 News said...

00:02:18
post photo preview
The Afterparty X Spaces - 8/8/26

It’s Saturday, and that means it’s time for The Afterparty!

We start with the Simultaneous Sip, then you get the mic.

Bring a take on what we covered on the Scott Adams School with Erica and Marcela and the big news of the week — Florida subpoenaing Fauci, the Maricopa voter data breach, or the DSA’s useful idiots getting demolished by Mike Rowe.

Everyone is welcome to speak. Two rules:

1. Be respectful
2. Don’t interrupt

Request the mic. Bring friends.

https://x.com/owengregorian/status/2086081721661812750?s=46&t=za1kQOtu4Dod6Yb1P465eg

Sunday Simultaneous Sip 8/2/26 — come hang out with us!

Grab your coffee (or whatever makes you happy), we’ll do the sip together, then chat about today’s news for about an hour.

  • Walz’s Minnesota letting people vote if someone “vouches” for them

  • An auditor saying 200,000+ NYC mayoral votes look suspicious

  • The DSA winning a $5.2 million inheritance lawsuit, California offering free meth and crack pipes…

Bring whatever’s on your mind. I’d love to hear from you.

Everyone’s welcome to speak. Just be kind, and don’t interrupt. See you there!

https://x.com/owengregorian/status/2083897876124459424?s=46&t=za1kQOtu4Dod6Yb1P465eg

post photo preview
Can Ozempic prevent cancer? A doctor explains why the headlines are easy to misread | Ziyad Al-Aly, Medical Xpress

In the weeks around the 2026 annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, my phone kept buzzing with alerts about GLP-1 drugs and cancer. The headlines were everywhere—from NPR and The Washington Post to Substack and heated exchanges on social media—all circling the same claim: Ozempic might lower the risk of cancer.

Only for Supporters
To read the rest of this article and access other paid content, you must be a supporter
Read full Article
post photo preview
European Drone Warfare Goes Operational: $49B in Commitments This Month | Roger Satterfield, Techtimes

In the first two weeks of July 2026, five of the largest defense investment decisions in modern European history arrived within days of one another: a $1.8 billion private fundraise for an AI defense startup, a NATO-wide $40 billion counter-drone commitment, a single German contract to deploy 50,000 AI-guided attack drones in Ukraine, a £5 billion British transformation program explicitly committing to weapons that make targeting decisions without per-strike human authorization, and a fresh $1.2 billion raise for a drone maker that positions itself as Europe's answer to Lockheed Martin. The convergence, reported today in a major CNBC synthesis, is not coincidental. It reflects a structural judgment: autonomous, software-defined warfare is no longer experimental. What drove each of these decisions to the same two-week window is the same thing driving all of them — a piece of palm-sized hardware that has quietly validated the entire premise of the investment surge in Ukrainian skies.

Only for Supporters
To read the rest of this article and access other paid content, you must be a supporter
Read full Article
post photo preview
Democrats Turn To ‘Economic Democracy,’ And You Already Know What They Mean | Chris Bray, The Federalist

“We cannot save our democracy unless we democratize our economy.” A truck is backing up to the loading dock, delivering a giant cargo of old wine in new bottles. You’re going to be hearing more of this language.

Only for Supporters
To read the rest of this article and access other paid content, you must be a supporter
Read full Article
Available on mobile and TV devices
google store google store app store app store
google store google store app tv store app tv store amazon store amazon store roku store roku store
Powered by Locals